Negative Or Positive?

Wow! I know it has been a long time since I made a post. It's crazy how time flies by and I don't even notice!

Lately it's hit me how negative, selfish and disapproving the world can be, and how easy it can be to lose focus and follow that harmful pattern.
Darkness does anything it can to try and drown out the light. (Sad, right?) I believe the Devil is especially cunning in trying to take our focus off of God. To weigh us down with other people's opinions, whether or not I'M having a bad day, what so-and-so did, really just petty little things in life.
I'll be the first to admit that I am especially susceptible to caring too much what other people think of me. I tend to be a people-pleaser, I like to make people happy, and when someone says negative things about me, it really does hurt! But with God's help I've been able to focus more on HIM than what people say about me. Now, with my thoughts more on HIM, it's like my mind is clearer and I notice things that I didn't before. I've come to notice how often people really say a lot of degrading, negative things to me. Whether it's spreading stories that aren't completely true, or magnifying faults, or just talking about dumb stuff that isn't edifying. Isn't true, honest, just, pure, lovely, or of good report.
It's especially difficult I think, when it's other believers doing this! Of all people, our brothers and sisters in Christ should be the ones building us up! Encouraging each other, speaking truth in love.
So this is my reminder to myself. My call, my plea to you. Don't underestimate the weight of your words! Uplift with what you say, and don't drag down. Encourage, don't discourage. Don't be like a clanging gong, but let there be meaning in what you say. I'm not saying that you can never be funny, never tell a joke, or talk about how you're feeling and what's going on in the day. By all means do that! But don't be someone who hurts with their words.

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

"Iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

"Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up." Proverbs 12:25

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." Hebrews 3:13

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Proverbs 25:11

"Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity." Proverbs 21:23

"A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25

"Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing" 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding." Romans 14:19



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Can Just Be Me

Love

Losing What You Assume